November 29, 1980

ON THE SEA, DAKAR – CASABLANCA
Lulled to sleep in our sweat-house cell by the gentle rocking of the ship. I woke with no idea of the time, having no windows and no watch nearby. Had a pleasant continental breakfast and spent the morning reading in the sunshine of the deck. Lunch was overwhelming: tender beef in wine sauce with noodles and fries; a cold platter of potatoes, tomatoes and fish with fresh mayonnaise; wine; cheese; pastry; and mandarins. Accustomed to "food avarice" for the past ten weeks, I'd had thoughts of coming to lunch twice, but for the first time on this trip, I actually left a little on my plate when I rolled out of the cafeteria.

Life has been reduced to trying to stretch activities as long as possible-- to make my book last all the way to Casablanca, I force myself to put it down and stare out at what little of the ocean I can see between the lifeboats. It occurs to me that I'd enjoy scully work on board ship for a couple of weeks, like my cabin-mate is doing. Although there's less to do here than in Dakar, for some reason-- maybe just because I've accepted the situation, maybe because the open sea is so unconfining-- it's enough to just sit on deck for hours at a time and the day actually passed very quickly, when I watched the sun set into the water, as I'd done a hundred times in Oswego.

I'd hoped for some sort of evening entertainment for us, but there was only checkers, so we all hit the sack at 9pm.

PHOTO CREDIT

No comments: