September 29, 1980

ALGIERS, ALGERIA
In spite of the difficulties of getting around town, I found my way back to the Niger Embassy on foot, shortly after it opened and, to my surprise, they said they would process my visa by 1:00. In view of my desire to move on quickly, I booked a bus to Ghardaia for tonight. It meant giving up my room at noon and lugging my pack around all day, but it was worth it.

The room was the best I've had yet, with a terrific view of the Mediterranean, though there didn't seem to be any beach around. Later, I found a little garbagey one, but it wasn't quite swimming weather, so I took a nap. Algerians may be anti-European in their ideas about language and tourism, but not in their fashions, sidewalk cafés and (!) department stores.

The bus ride, allegedly from 9pm - 5am, would save me a hotel payment, but not allow me to see much countryside.

PHOTO CREDIT

No comments: