October 23, 1980

NIAMEY, NIGER
After the $32 phone call and the upcoming $20 Telex for money (after I find out my account number), I had to cash more traveler's checks. Then at Citibank, I found that the folks hadn't sent the wire yet. Since I'll need my passport when I send for the money, I can't leave it at the Nigerian consulate to get a visa.

Instead, I spent the morning at the National Museum, a superb museum, by African standards. it has a good-sized zoo; exhibits on pre-historical Niger, with a dinosaur skeleton and early arrowheads and tools, well labeled; exhibits on local dress, differentiating among tribes; an exhibit of music instruments, mostly percussion, also two long trumpets and a few oboe-like instruments.

There's an open building housing 20-25 artisans, who make leather, silver, gold, wood and ivory items exclusively for the museum store, whose fixed prices are less than what I can bargain down to in the streets. I've been looking for a native flute for Dr. Smiley and found one of those oboes for only $8.25. Don't know what I'll do with it, but it's mine!

I had correctly predicted that Marcel would show up today. His four-day camel ride round Agadez had been a bad experience.

Spent the night in the woods again. It's humid here and except for one mildly breezy night, it's pretty uncomfortable, but you can't strip at night because of the mosquitoes-- this is malaria country. I keep meaning to visit the Peace Corps doctor to discuss medicine.

PHOTO CREDIT

No comments: