December 1, 1980

TENERIFE, CANARY ISLANDS
Difficult to believe it's December, though the weather at sea is a little chilly in the morning and evening. Got up today as we were pulling into Tenerife, one of the cities of the Canary Islands. The luxury-class passengers, who lead a life totally unknown to us in Economique, took a three-hour excursion to one of the many volcanic craters on the island. I walked around the port, watching sailors unload their cargo, scrub their ships, etc.

We pulled out while I was eating lunch and my recently troublesome digestive system made me too queasy to finish a fabulous lamb dish. I decided to lie down afterwards and when I awoke, we were riding rough seas. This, combined with my previous condition, finally did me in and I spent the dinner hour barfing up my lunch.

There was no choice but to go to bed early, though still much awake. I'm surprised that a gigantic ship like this can be so battered by the waves. Though it doesn't really look so bad outside, we sometimes take a knocking that feels like we've been rammed by a battleship or hit a rock. If there'd been anything left in my guts, I'd have lost it during that.

PHOTO CREDIT

No comments: