December 4, 1980

EL JADIDA - CASABLANCA, MOROCCO
Did a tour of the medina this morning and although it seems to be a friendly, pleasant little town, I didn't think there was enough to keep me interested for two days. Sat by the beach, reading the International Herald Tribune and a nice, sincere (believe it or not) young guy stopped and timidly told me he was going to school in the States next month and would like to know everything about it. I did my best to tell him everything about my country in ten minutes. He'll be arriving in New York on New Year's Eve, so naturally I directed him to Times Square.

My wishes came true when Mahomed didn't show up at noon-- undoubtedly it finally got through to him that 1) I wasn't going to buy any hash and 2) I was about as far from being his type as could be. As I left the hotel to get lunch, another guy grabbed me and brought me to his favorite restaurant and offered his services for dope dealing, tourism, etc. I must have been not too appealing a prospect since I was getting the next bus out, so he gave up quickly.

Got shuffled from one bus to another in the pre-departure mayhem. Passed nice looking farmland and some that was really poor and stony. Gradually, the scenery urbanized as we approached Casablanca. Ended up at a bus depot which was not the one I knew and it was ½ hour before I found myself in familiar territory. I decided that as long as I'm back in the city where I started, I'd go back to the hotel where I started, and they offered me the same room I had my first night in Africa-- some round trip!

For some reason, I had been thinking of Kramer vs. Kramer this morning and of how I'd like to see it again. Goldang it if I didn't walk right by a theater showing it. Hawkers were selling tickets at almost double rate, so after dinner, I bought a legit ticket two hours in advance and hung out in my room until nine.

I'd forgotten about the quaint French custom of showing 45 minutes of idiotic documentaries followed by a 15-minute intermission before the film. I'd hoped it would be in English with subtitles but, my luck, it was dubbed in French, harder to follow. Got out at 12:15, way past my bedtime.

PHOTO CREDIT 1
PHOTO CREDIT 2

No comments: